For individuals new to the subject, this qualification offers a hands-on introduction to the world of spirits. You’ll explore the main styles and types of spirits through sight, smell, and taste to develop an understanding of the key factors affecting flavors and aromas. Upon successful completion, you will receive a WSET certificate and lapel pin.
One Day Course: 9.00 am -16.00 pm.
Weekend Day Course: 10.00 am -17.00 pm.
- Spirits will be dispatch in 20ml sample packs, this will include 10 samples for the level 1 award in spirits.
What you'll learn
- The basic principles of spirit production
- The main types and styles of spirits
- How to serve spirits
- Factors affecting the flavour of spirits
- How to describe spirits using the WSET Level 1 Systematic Approach to Tasting Spirits® (SAT)
Assessment is by a closed-book exam of 30 multiple-choice questions.
This qualification is regulated by Ofqual. The exam will take place online via remote adjudication
There are no entry requirements for this qualification. You must be of legal drinking age in the country where you are attending the course to participate in any alcohol tasting. However, this is not a barrier to successfully completing the qualification.
Requirements may vary by the course provider.
Please see below for the specification for the Level 1 Award in Spirits.
Students must book more than 20 working days prior to the course start date. You must email your date of birth to email@example.com along with your full name.
Irish whiskey training
Professional development Ireland
Drink industry training
Bartender training Ireland
Wine and spirits education